Thursday, August 18, 2011

Some Veggie/Fruit Pointers

As I've been recording my fruit servings, I actually looked up the info on how much a serving is to make sure I was being accurate.  A serving is generally measured as 1/2 cup.  So, sliced/chopped or small fruit/veggies that are about that amount will be a serving.  Also, don't forget that means that 1/2 cup salsa and tomato sauce, apple sauce, etc. are a serving.  So there's all kinds of ways to get the fruits and veggies in.

By the way, I thought I'd be cruising through this challenge - getting a point every day, easily - but apparently I've only been getting about 6 servings regularly.  So this challenge has made me more aware of my intake and I find I'm having to work at getting a few more to start earning my points!  But it's easy enough to do, it just takes a little more thinking on my part.

Click HERE to see one of my all-time favorite ways to incorporate vegetables into our diet.

And here are some more guidelines to help you:

1 Serving of Fruit
  • one banana
  • six strawberries
  • two plums
  • fifteen grapes
  • one apple
  • one peach
  • one-half cup of orange or other fruit juice
1 Serving of Vegetables
  • five broccoli florets
  • ten baby carrots
  • one roma tomato
  • 3/4 cup tomato juice
  • half of a baked sweet potato
  • one ear of corn
  • four slices of an onion

No comments:

Post a Comment